Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shift Happens by Robert Holden

I have read a plethora of “self help” books. I started reading them years ago. They have helped me look deeply at myself. They have helped me through a divorce. They are currently helping me stay centered while living with my aging father. When I have finished reading them, I frequently pass them on to others. Shift Happens by Robert Holden is one I’m keeping on my shelf but recommending highly to others.


The author has a way of stating an issue succinctly and just as succinctly exploring alternative ways of looking at the issue. It is so succinct that each chapter is only 5-6 pages long. It is the perfect length to give the reader something to think about for a day or two or a week or whatever length of time is necessary before moving onto the next chapter.


Each chapter stands individually making it possible to pick up the book and read a chapter without losing the thread of the entire book. I open the book randomly now and each time I find something worthwhile. Sometimes the reading smacks me on the back of my head. Sometimes it gives me a feeling of Ahhhhh, just right. Either way, it always seems to be what I need to read that day.


This is one of my favorite quotes from the book,

“Put your self-image in the hands of Heaven. Let the angels sing to you hymns of your divinity. Give God your tiny self-image, so that God may show you your true beauty. Be unconditional. Be open to yourself. Be like the child who asked its mother, ‘Who am I?’ and the mother responded, ‘You are so beautiful you can be whoever you want.’” p.28


I want to reiterate to everyone who reads this that you are so beautiful you can be whoever you want!



This review is part of my partnership with Hay House. I was given the book for the purposes of review. I have not received financial compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment